Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Garden Party






This past weekend I covered a Garden Party at Fenton Estates, one of the vineyards on the island.  It was a fundraiser for the WESTPAC rescue helicopter trust, and a truly classy affair.  I got to meet the New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, who spoke at the event.  It was the first time he had been to Waiheke since being elected (he too was brought in to the fold in November, however to much less fanfare as old Obama).  It's kind of funny to think about: America went liberal, while New Zealand, a pretty hippy dippy place, elected a right wing guy.

It was amazing how not a big deal it all was.  There was minimal security, I wasn't frisked or anything, and I only made out three or four bodyguards.  I'm used to seeing political figures with press cores, he had maybe three reporters following him.  

I ended up sitting next to him for a bit and we talked about his new job and how I was liking New Zealand.  It was all pretty surreal, but then again that could have been the open bar.  Anyway here are some pictures of the party as well as of the amazing view the estate had (because WASPS everywhere, even in foreign countries, have the best views).


2 comments:

  1. You are so uptown, little sister! Got the kiwi onesie, by the way. It is very cute. I will endeavor to take a picture of Annie in it.

    ReplyDelete